





|
Survey of
Historic Sites and Buildings
 |
MARYLAND STATE HOUSE
Maryland
|

Maryland State House
|
Location: Anne Arundel County, State Circle,
Annapolis.
|
|
This statehouse, whose soaring dome dominates the
Annapolis skyline, is the oldest still in continuous use for legislative
purposes and is one of the most historic buildings in the Nation. It has
been the scene of many stirring events. Not only was it the Capitol of
the United States in 1783-84, but it was also the meetingplace of the
Annapolis Convention, the immediate forerunner of the U.S.
Constitutional Convention, and since its construction has always served
as Maryland's seat of government.
For 9 months, from November 26, 1783, until the
following August 13, this structure was the U.S. Capitol under the
Articles of Confederation, following the Continental Congress'
relocation from Princeton, N.J. During its 6-month session, in what is
known today as the Old Senate Chamber, the Congress on December 23,
1783, accepted George Washington's resignation as commander in chief of
the Continental Army; on January 14, 1784, ratified the Treaty of Paris
ending the War for Independence; and on May 7, 1784, approved the
appointment of Thomas Jefferson as Minister Plenipotentiary. After
adjournment on June 3, 1784, a "Committee of the States," which was
charged with handling Government affairs, continued to use the chamber
until August 13. In November Congress reconvened in Trenton, N.J.
 |
Maryland State House. (National Park Service (Boucher, 1975).) |
But the building was destined to figure prominently
once again in national affairs. Although Maryland did not appoint any
delegates to the Annapolis Convention (September 1786), she made her
capitol available for its sessions, which were probably held in the Old
Senate Chamber. Because only 12 representatives from 5 States had
arrived, no action was taken on the proposed topic, the recommendation
to the States and the Continental Congress of measures to improve
domestic and foreign trade. Instead, the conferees suggested that
Congress and the States sanction another convention to consider means to
strengthen the Articles of Confederation. This proposal was approved;
the Constitutional Convention was the result.
In 1772 Maryland's last Royal Governor laid the
cornerstone of the statehouse. Because of delays caused by the War for
Independence, the structure was not completed until about 1779, and the
next year the legislature began using it. The architect is unknown.
The two-story, late Georgian building, constructed of
Flemish bonded brick in the form of a rectangle, is 11 bays wide and 7
deep. The dominant architectural feature, the 116-foot-high octagonal
dome, replaced the considerably smaller original one and was apparently
erected in the last half of the 1780's. Constructed of wood and held
together by wooden pegs, it features a balustraded steeple and a
two-story cupola and has arched, oval, and rectangular windows.
A three-bay central pavilion, which projects
slightly, is topped by a triangular pediment with an oval window.
Spanning the length of the pavilion is a one-story, Corinthian
tetrastyle portico, whose small pediment is in the central bay. Built
mainly of wood, the portico is probably a later addition. An elliptical
arch, between the central pair of Corinthian wall pilasters, frames the
paneled double door and fanlight of the main entrance, which is flanked
by semicircular arched windows. All other windows, whose sills are
stone, are rectangular. The flat and round arches over the openings are
of rubbed brick. A belt course marks the second floor. Dentiled, wood
cornices decorate the roofline, portico, and both pediments. Two large
interior chimneys are located near the front wall on each side of the
pavilion; a small chimney, on the rear, northeastern, side of the
roof.
The arcaded main hall, under the dome and a
second-story balcony, features Corinthian columns and delicate
Adam-style plaster ornamentation. The room of main interest on the first
floor is the Old Senate Chamber. It has been restored to its appearance
on December 23, 1783, the day Washington relinquished his command. A
bronze plaque marks the spot where he probably stood. Above the chamber
entrance is a curved, balustraded spectators' gallery, which is
supported by fluted Ionic columns.
The point of focus in the room is the semi-elliptical
dais, or speaker's platform. Its rear niche is framed by a pedimented
frontispiece, which has fluted, engaged Ionic columns. They are of wood,
but the remainder of the niche and frontispiece are of plaster. The
walls, above the wainscot, and the ceiling are plastered. Of particular
note are a classically trimmed fireplace and the elaborate plastic
cornice. Some of the decor in this chamber and elsewhere in the building
is attributed to William Buckland. The windows have deep, paneled
reveals, window seats, and inner shutters. Under the balcony, separated
by a wood, paneled parapet, are two bilevel rows of seats for observers.
The original yellow-pine floor is secured by pegs instead of nails. The
chandelier is a reproduction.
Alongside the Old Senate Chamber is the Historical
and Flag Room, which contains a special flag display and some exhibits.
Opposite the Old Senate Chamber is the Old House of Delegates Chamber,
which is primarily significant in Maryland history but is now occupied
by the Attorney General's office. The offices of the Governor are on the
second floor. Throughout the building are many excellent paintings and
portraits.
The statehouse includes an annex, which is slightly
larger than the original building. Constructed in 1902-5, it replaced
two earlier ones (1858 and 1886) and contains the modern legislative
chambers and various State offices. Guided tours of the building, which
is in Colonial Annapolis Historic District, are provided.
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/constitution/site10.htm
Last Updated: 29-Jul-2004
|